How Does Ultherapy® Work?
- Ultherapy is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cleared, non-invasive skin tightening treatment using micro-focused ultrasound energy to target the deep structural layers of the skin without disrupting the skin’s surface. After treatment, the body’s tissue repair process stimulates the production of new collagen, creating a natural lifting effect.
- As it is non-surgical, it does not involve any cutting. There is minimal to no downtime for this treatment.
- The safety and efficacy of Ultherapy® have been established through clinical studies and over 1,250,000 treatments performed worldwide.
What Are The End Results?
- Skin will begin to lift and tone over time.
- A full-face treatment takes 1 hour or longer and produces noticeable results that last 1 year or longer.
- You may experience mild redness and mild swelling immediately after treatment, which will usually be resolved in 1 to 2 hours.
Ultherapy® is FDA-cleared to lift the skin on the neck, under the chin, and on the brow, as well as to improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the décolleté.
Who is it suitable for?
Ultherapy is for anyone who is looking for a skin tightening treatment to reverse aging. It can be used on men and women in their 20s to maintain firmness in the face and provide spot treatment in areas that show early signs of age, like our eyebags, cheeks, jowl area, and brows. Ultherapy is also good for slimming down chubby or ''chipmunk cheeks''.
For more mature patients, Ultherapy is effective for lifting and contouring sagging areas due to aging. Other than the full face, it is also suitable for the spot treatment of delicate areas such as our eyebags, cheeks, jowl area, brows, and neck.
Are there any measures I can take to prepare my skin prior to treatment?No significant preparations are required prior to the treatment. Some medications may make you more likely to bruise. During your consultation, talk to your practitioner about your current medications and supplements. Your practitioner may recommend that you temporarily discontinue use of some medications or supplements prior to the treatment.
Is this treatment painful?The Ultherapy procedure is very tolerable and patients complete their treatment with no problem at all. Any discomfort is managed before treatment begins with numbing cream, and we customise the intensity and power of the treatment to suit all patients. There is no need to worry about pain.
When will I see results?The neocollagenesis process takes place over 2-3 months, so your results will develop over that time. The treatment produces new collagen on the inside, but your natural aging process will dictate how long that translates into visible results on the outside.
How many treatments are necessary?Usually, only one treatment is necessary. However, you should plan to have a maintenance treatment every 12 months to counteract the natural ageing process.
Are there any side effects?The skin might appear flushed at first, but the redness should disappear within a few hours. Some patients experience slight swelling, tingling or tenderness to the touch, but these are temporary in nature. Other, less common post-procedural effects may include temporary bruising or numbness on small areas of skin. As with any medical procedure, there is the possibility for other rare effects, which your practitioner will review with you.
How does Ultherapy® differ from laser / other skin treatments?
Ultherapy uses ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen production in the skin’s foundation, resulting in a clinically significant lift of tissue over 2-3 months. Lasers rely on light energy, which typically only treat superficial skin and are not FDA-cleared to lift skin. Lasers also work through the surface of the skin, often resulting in downtime after a procedure. Ultherapy’s ultrasound energy bypasses the surface of the skin, which means no downtime is required after the treatment. Since the two technologies often treat different types of skin issues, they can be compatible.